Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Exercising to Relieve Mental Stress

You would be amazed by the things exercise does to relieve stress. Stress can come in many forms and produce many symptoms such as worrying, having anxiety, and even sensations of dread. To prevent these symptoms, I would take only a few minutes out of my day to get my body going by stretching and doing just 25 push-ups in the morning. It made my body feel better with the mindset of being ready to make the best of my day. This could help keep you focused and feeling good, too!
You might think student-athletes have it easy with nothing to stress about, but they do stress. It may come from not producing in practice or not excelling in their academics due to possibly being overwhelmed. I know this because I have been stressed as a student-athlete and as a normal student in my life. Although I have always enjoyed being in a gym, I knew working out to relieve stress was not the reason for me being there. I needed exercise separate from practice. Even playing a simple pick-up game or lifting weights created happiness for me.
Athletes and other active people I know understand this point as well. I know this because while working at the Payne Center, there would be athletes that come in for a workout or just to play a pick-up game of basketball. I am almost certain that this was a way of them relieving stress, such as doing the exercises that would benefit them mentally. 
We all have felt this way in life. For instance, you may be stressed out due to having multiple essays to do before the end of the semester. Times like this I would be in the library working for hours on assignments feeling overwhelmed. A simple walk around the library allowed my mind to block out thoughts and worries. After that walk, I was ready for the next task. And check this out, Harvard psychiatrist and researcher  John Ratey stated in an interview with inc.com, "we know from studies, when we stand our brains are a little bit better, maybe 7 percent better than when we’re sitting.” 
Exercising regularly made me happier, smarter, and most importantly less stressed. Most people do not exercise because of low energy and too much worrying over things they have no control. One thing you can often control is the way you look and how you feel. For me, looking in the mirror and seeing my big biceps and broad shoulders makes me feel great. Check out the resources from my friends at the Payne Center. I bet they’ve got something that will get you started down your path. 

By Londyn Thomas - Londyn is a graduate student in the Physical Education program and a graduate assistant in the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Southern Mississippi. She also serves as a volunteer GA for the Southern Miss Women’s Basketball program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning in Focus: the Vlog (Vol.3)

Golden Eagles on Campus: The Eyes of Southern Miss Vol.3- Ashton Husband Danny caught up with Southern Miss student, Ashton Husband, to disc...