Monday, April 13, 2020

The Art of Goal Setting

Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” – Pablo Picasso  

Hey everyone! It’s me, AJ again. I’m feeling pretty excited since I managed to get through this first week of classes, and I know I’ll have a bit more time on my hands this weekend (I think we probably all do). I plan on trying my hand at baking bread for the first time, mostly so I can learn something new.   

One thing we know is that goals help us stay focused throughout uncertain times. It gives us a reason to get out of bed in the morning or stop scrolling through the endless pages of COVID-19 news; even if we don’t have a class, practice, or club meeting. Most days I try to give myself something that I can look forward to doing. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment like a good workout at the Payne Center or finishing a big class project would.   

For me, I knew that I liked reading and baking but with the mountain of other obligations I had, it became difficult to devote any real time to those hobbies. I’ve seen other friends playing instruments they haven’t touched since high school, practicing yoga, or catching up on their reading.   

So, for this week, act deliberately, and set a goal for yourself! It can be anything, whether it’s making sure to take a walk each day, learning to do something new, or even getting through the reading and assignments you’re being asked to finish for class. What’s important is to make the effort to devote specific parts of your week to complete these goals. Setting a time helps keep you accountable and gives some structure for you to build the rest of your day around.   

Being able to spend some time rediscovering an old hobby and setting new goals for yourself can be a blessing for us during the trying times of this pandemic, but beyond that, learning to deliberately set and accomplish goals will be a skill that helps us grow throughout our entire lives.   


By AJ Qureshi - AJ is a graduate student in the Counseling Psychology program and a graduate assistant in the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Southern Mississippi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning in Focus: the Vlog (Vol.3)

Golden Eagles on Campus: The Eyes of Southern Miss Vol.3- Ashton Husband Danny caught up with Southern Miss student, Ashton Husband, to disc...